World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated with great enthusiasm every year on the 15th of March by all the countries globally and this day was inspired by the speech of John F. Kennedy, the former US President. He gave a lecture on consumer rights on 15th March 1962 when he was speaking at the US Congress. This day was proposed as World Consumer Rights Day by Anwar Fazal who was a worker for Consumer International.
World Consumer Rights Day Importance
World Consumer Rights Day is a very significant day as this day is used as an opportunity to spread awareness about consumer rights. Important rights that Indian Consumer Protection Act 2020 focuses on are:-
- Right to be heard at an appropriate forum
- Right to seek redressal in case of unfair trade practices
- Right-to-consumer education
- Right to goods and services at competitive prices
- Right to be informed about the quality, potency, purity, standard, and price of goods and services
- Right to be protected against wrong marketing of goods and services which are hazardous to the life and property
World Consumer Rights Day History
Former American President, John F Kennedy was the first president who was able to recognize the need for consumer rights and he was the one who addressed the issue of consumer rights on 15th March 1962 to Congress. The guidelines for this day came into effect first time in 1985. Several different types of agreements, treaties, and declarations were drawn up in different areas to help protect consumers’ rights.
World Consumer Rights Day Past Years Themes
World Consumer Rights Day 2021
Every year different themes try to solve different problems for consumers. For example in the year 2021, the theme was “Tackling Plastic Pollution”. This was chosen as a theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2021 to take a call for all consumers and tackle the problem that is associated with plastic pollution. For this purpose, the International forum discussed the 7 R’s for the consumer which include:-
On this day, it is ensured that the rights of the consumer are protected and not violated and the most important thing, there is no discrimination happening based on community or background of the consumer. Awareness should be spread so that the consumer has the knowledge and power to protest against inappropriate practices such as market abuses or any kind of social injustice.
World Consumer Rights Day 2022
The theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2022 was “Fair Digital Finance”. The focus of this theme was on the growing importance of digital finance in an increasingly digital global economy.
World Consumer Rights Day Theme 2023
Like every other year this year also we have a unique theme for the world consumer rights day celebration. The theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2023 is “ Empowering Consumers Through Clean Energy Transition.”
India Consumer Protection Act, 2020
The Indian Consumer Protection Act was enacted on the 20th of July 2020, replacing the old Consumer Protection Act of 1986. Some significant highlights which were discussed upon this act are as follows:-
This update act entirely changed the way customer disputes and administration were settled.
- Not only this, but the act also enforced a strict jail term for any kind of adulteration of foodstuffs made by the sellers.
- Other things included the setting of a Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA). This was introduced for the promotion and enforcement of the rights of a consumer as a whole.
- The Central Consumer Protection Authority also has the power to intervene for the protection of customers from unfair trade practices.
- This body can also enforce recall, return of products, and demand refunds.
- Consumers can hire a lawyer and can file a complaint with the CCOA.
Consumer International is a global organization that is formed for consumer groups worldwide. This organization was founded on the 1st of April 1960 with over 250 member organizations which were from across 120 countries. The head office of this organization is situated in London, England. It also has regional offices in Asia Pacific, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East.
This day is celebrated through consumer protection awareness campaigns and this day also marks a solidarity with the international consumer movement.
How can we as an individual can celebrate World Consumer Rights Day
This day provides us an opportunity to be aware of our rights as a consumer. This day also acts as a reminder for businesses all over the world to have legal and moral obligations toward their customers. To make this day more memorable you can do the following things:-
- You can join many events related to consumer awareness that are taking place throughout the year and also can attend rallies and conferences about consumer rights in your area.
- You can contact the legislatures and government officials who are dealing with consumer issues and express your support regarding necessary changes.
- You can talk about your thoughts and experiences regarding this issue on various social media platforms.
World Consumer Rights Day Important Quotes
“The copyright bargain: a balance between protection for the artist and rights for the consumer.” – Robin Gross
“Your customer doesn’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” – Damon Richards
“Our personal consumer choices have ecological, social, and spiritual consequences. It is time to re-examine some of our deeply held notions that underlie our lifestyles.” – David Suzuki
“Your customer’s perception is your reality.” – Kate Zabriskie
“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” – Bill Gates
If you have any suggestions regarding this article then you can leave your suggestion in the comment box.
FAQs on World Consumer Rights Day
Who is the father of Consumer Rights?
Ralph Nader is the father of Consumer Rights.
What is the full form of the COPRA Act?
The full form of the COPRA Act is the Consumer Protection Act, of 1986.
Who is the chairman of consumer rights?
Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ram Surat Ram Maurya is the chairman of consumer rights.
What is the theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2023?
The theme for World Consumer Rights Day is “ Empowering Consumers Through Clean Energy Transition.”
Which is the national day of consumer rights?
15th March is the national day of consumer rights.