The International Day of Education is celebrated globally every year on the 24th of January to highlight the importance of education in everyone’s life. Education plays a vital role in fostering peace, prosperity, and development for individuals and society. The United Nations General Assembly established it and this day serves as a reminder for all regarding the fundamental right of education for all people regardless of their background or any other circumstances. Education plays a very crucial role in empowering individuals and in the transformation of communities. It equips people with the required skills, knowledge, and critical thinking abilities which help them to make informed decision making and enable them to lead fulfilling lives and contribute to the betterment of society.
International Day of Education allows us to understand the importance of quality education which acts as a catalyst for sustainable development, social inclusion, and most important lifelong learning. But we need to understand despite being a very crucial part of everyone’s life, there are many challenges associated with good education all over the world. Some of the barriers which affect educational opportunities most are conflict, poverty, lack of proper infrastructure and gender inequality, etc. This day can be used to raise awareness about these existing challenges and mobilize efforts to overcome these problems.
This day also serves as an opportunity to celebrate and honor the achievement of educational initiatives and individuals who have made exceptional contributions to the field of education. Government, International organizations, civil society groups, and Educational institutions all come together to discuss education and try to make it better. According to the data of UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), around 250 Million children and youth all over the world still do not get an opportunity to attend school and 617 million children and adolescents cannot read or do basic mathematics.
International Day of Education Importance
This day plays an important role in the growth and development of individuals as well as society, It provides us with the following things:-
- Equality and Inclusion:- Education is a very powerful tool that can promote equality and inclusivity. It helps us in breaking down all barriers and helps in overcoming discrimination that is based on ethnicity, gender, race, socioeconomic status, disability, etc. We can make a more equitable world.
- Peace and Stability:- Education is a fundamental component and helps in building peaceful and stable societies. It plays an important role in understanding, tolerance, and respect for diversity.
- Empowerment and Development:- It provides people necessary tools for improving their lives, contributing to their society, and participating actively in development. Education acts as a leading driver for economic growth and innovation.
- Poverty alleviation:- Efficient investment in the field of education can help in reducing poverty, creating opportunities for socioeconomic mobility, promoting social mobility, etc. Therefore it can help in breaking the cycle of poverty. It can enhance job prospects and income generation in society.
- Sustainable Development:- Education is directly linked with sustainable development. It helps in achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) like ensuring gender equality, promoting good health, eradicating poverty, addressing climate change, etc.
International Day of Education History
The International Day of Education was established by the United Nations General Assembly by a resolution that was adopted on December 3, 2018. The resolution highlighted the importance of education to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and focussed on the need to ensure inclusive and equitably quality of education. This day was chosen for the International Day of Education to commemorate the anniversary of adopting sustainable development goal 4 (SDG 4) on education, which occurred on January 24, 2015. Since its inception, there had been various events, initiatives, and campaigns that had been celebrated every year on this day. Various activities such as panel discussions, seminars, conferences, workshops, and advocacy campaigns take place on this day.
International Day of Education 2023 Theme
This year, 2023 would be celebrated as the fifth International Day of Education. The theme for International Day of Education, 2023 is “to invest in people, prioritize education”. UNESCO decided this year to dedicate to girls and women in Afghanistan who had been deprived of their rights to education.
International Day of Education Past Years Themes
|2022||“Recover and Revitalise Education for the COVID-19 Generation”|
|2021||“Recover and Revitalise Education for the COVID-19 Generation”|
|2020||“Learning for People, Planet, Prosperity, and Peace”|
|2019||“Education for Peace”|
|2018||“Education for Peace and Development”|
|2017||“Education for Sustainable Development”|
International Day of Education Celebration
You might be wondering how an individual can celebrate this day and make it memorable. Here are some ways through which one can celebrate International Day of Education with great enthusiasm. Those are:-
- You can educate yourself more about this topic
- You can support local schools near you
- You can share your knowledge with everyone
- You can donate Books and other resources
- Engage in online education
- Advocate for Education
- Support Nonprofit organisation
- Inspire other people
- Spread awareness regarding the importance of education
International Day of Education Quotes
“Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” —Maimonides“
A simple but powerful reminder of the positive domino effect a good education can have on many aspects of a person’s life and outlook.
”The more that you read, the more things you will know, the more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” —Dr. Seuss“
Education is one thing no one can take away from you.” —Elin Nordegren“
Education is the key that unlocks the golden door to freedom.” —George Washington Carver
If you have any suggestions regarding this article then you can leave your suggestion in the comment box.
FAQs on International Day of Education
Who is the father of Education Day?
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad is the father of Education Day.
Who is the mother of Indian education?
Savitribai Phule is the mother of Indian education.
What is the theme of International Day of Education, 2023?
The theme for International Day of Education, 2023 is “to invest in people, prioritize education”.
When was the founder of the education system?
Lord Macaulay was the founder of the education system.
Who was our first education Minister?
Maulana Abul KKalam Azad was our first education Minister.