Happiness is the most important thing in life which people search for every time. The necessary components of Happiness are Physical health, Quality of living, mental health, productivity and creativity, Growth, Peace, etc. International Day of Happiness is celebrated on the 20th of March every year globally to highlight the importance of happiness and well-being as it constitutes a fundamental goal for all people in the world. This day was introduced by the United Nations General Assembly in the year 2012. This day was recognized to promote happiness and spread awareness about the importance of happiness recognizing it as a key element in sustainable development. Happiness is not mere pleasure but goes beyond it.
It is used holistically and includes multiple aspects such as mental health, physical health, altruism, kindness, social relationships, productivity, positivity, etc. This day acts as a reminder that alone economic growth is not sufficient for happiness. It also depends on various other factors such as mental and emotional well-being. It aligns with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, and majorly there are 3 goals that aim toward ensuring healthy lives.
International Day of Happiness History
International Day of Happiness was established by the United Nations in order to highlight the importance of happiness and well-being. The origin of this day dates back to the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan. Bhutan was the one who first introduced the concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH). It was introduced as an alternative to the traditional practices that were used, like Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in order to measure economic success. The introduction of GNH highlighted important factors such as health, psychological well-being, environmental sustainability, education, cultural diversity, etc. that are important indicators that measure the progress of the nation.
International Day of Happiness Past years Themes
Every year we have different themes for the International Day of Happiness. These themes are focused on ensuring that people understand the importance of happiness and how external as well as internal factors contribute to society. It also helps us realize that only economic growth is not important for growth and happiness, other factors also play equally major roles in ensuring happiness.
|2023||Be Mindful. Be Grateful. Be Kind|
|2022||Build Back Happier|
|2021||“Keep Calm. Stay Wise. Be Kind,”|
|2020||“Happiness For All, Together,”|
|2017||“Smile and Share Happiness.”|
International Day of Happiness Importance
The importance of the International Day of Happiness is as follows:-
- Global Unity – The International Day of Happiness helps us to understand what real happiness is and highlights that it is a common aspiration that has no borders. This day also fosters a sense of shared purpose and global unity.
- Alignment with Sustainable Development Goals – It aligns with sustainable Development Goals, especially goal 3, Good health and well-being, supporting the global effort for a healthier and equitable society.
- A shift in the development paradigm – It challenges the old approach of measuring development, which was only focusing on the economic measurement of growth. We adopt the holistic way of measuring growth with the help of education, well-being, environmental sustainability, health, and many more.
- Global focus on well-being – It emphasizes the fact that only material health is not enough for real happiness, it contains other factors such as mental and emotional well-being. It helps us to realize that happiness has no social, cultural, or economic boundaries.
- Educational opportunities – This day gives an opportunity to educators and schools to teach students about the importance of happiness, emotional intelligence, mental health, etc., and make them realize the contributions of these factors to societal as well as personal well-being.
- Personal Reflection – This day provides an opportunity for people to prioritize their mental health, self-care, etc.
- Positive Societal Impact – It has a positive impact on society as when people start to focus on happiness and well-being, it tends to reduce the rate of stress-related illness, it helps to increase productivity, healthy social relationships, etc.
- Awareness of Mental Health – On this day we can spread awareness about mental health issues. We can encourage people to openly talk about psychological well-being as mental health challenges are still seen as a stigma in society.
International Day of Happiness Quotes
Below are some of the most inspiring Happiness quotes that highlight the importance of Happiness in modern-day society.
- “Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty without happiness.” – Christian Dior
- “Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.” – Dalai Lama
- “The greatest happiness you can have is knowing that you do not necessarily require happiness.” – William Saroyan
- “Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but that they seize us.” – Ashley Montagu
If you have any suggestions regarding this article then you can leave your suggestion in the comment box.
FAQs for International Day of Happiness
When is the International Day of Happiness celebrated?
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated on the 20th of March every year.
How can people celebrate the International Day of Happiness?
People can celebrate this day by showing gratitude, spending a sweet time with their loved ones, performing acts of kindness, spreading awareness about happiness, etc.
How does Happiness impact society?
It can help in having lower crime rates, making the economy strong, better social cohesion, etc.
Can happiness be improved or learned?
Yes, it can be learned or improved with the help of positive thinking, practicing mindfulness, nurturing relationships, etc.
Does happiness depend on the external environment?
Though the external environment may influence happiness internal factors like attitude and interpretation of the situation also play an important role in Happiness.